Punctuation helps make a text flow better for the reader. Periods and commas are the most common punctuation marks, but there are other types that can assist your writing and text editing. The five other types are listed below:
|Colon||To introduce a list or example||1. Katt has four dogs: Max, Chester, Amigo, and Kingston.|
2. Make sure to bring one of the following pieces of identification: a driver’s license, a military ID card, or a utility bill.
|Semicolon||To connect two independent clauses (a group of words that express a complete thought and could stand alone as its own sentence) that are related in substance||1. Take these boots; it’s muddy out there.|
2. Be aware that the road is bumpy; however, don’t be alarmed by the no-entry signs.
|Quotation marks||To indicate a sentence (or fragment of a sentence) which someone spoke||1. Bobby asked, “Do you like your present?”|
2. Lisa called them “sweet, caring, and considering,” before she left.
3. “The problem with coffee,” Kevin went on, “is that it makes me shake.”
|Parentheses||To separate content that may not flow within the sentence but still adds information to it||1. Last week, I reread To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (my favorite author). |
2. He finally responded (after taking what seemed like ages to consider) that he didn’t want anything to do with the proposal.
|Hyphen||To combine two modifiers (an attribution that adds to something) before whatever it’s modifying||1. This rock-hard bread is impossible to eat.|
2. We’re looking for a dog-friendly apartment.
For each following sentence, place the correct use of punctuation into the blank.
- The customer____focused airline has great reviews.
- I apologize for losing your luggage ___including your favorite shirt___.
- I asked him, ____Why don’t you like pizza?____
- You should bring a jacket____ a blizzard is coming.
- My mom has three sons____ Jake, Devin, and Chris.
- The customer-focused airline has great reviews.
- I apologize for losing your luggage (including your favorite shirt).
- I asked him, “Why don’t you like pizza?”
- You should bring a jacket; a blizzard is coming.
- My mom has three sons: Jake, Devin, and Chris.